hey peeps! if you're looking for a warm earthy soup for the rainy season, try this soup from the home country... i did and twas delicious.
warning: it makes like 5 thousand servings
bonus: no fancy blender required!
modified from Ina Garten's recipe...
FRENCH LENTIL SOUP
1 cup dry green lentils
2-3 garlic cloves
5 celery stalks
1/4 can tomato paste
6 cups broth
1 glass white wine
olive oil, soy sauce, vinegar, lemon juice
cumin, thyme, red pepper flakes, s+p
*chop all the veg into bite size pieces..
1. In a large bowl, cover the lentils with boiling water and allow to sit for 15 minutes. Drain.
2. In a large pot, sauté onion, leek and garlic in olive oil. add spices and cook until the veggies are translucent and tender. approx 20 mins. Add the celery and carrots and cook for another 10 mins. oh yeah i didnt have cumin, thyme or red pepper flakes so i added tumeric, terragon and cayenne pepper... makes it nice and spicy.
3. Stir in tomato paste....i also didn't have this so i subbed in a few sundried tomatoes and half a diced fresh tomato, worked for me!
4. Add a tablespoon each of vinegar and soy sauce. Add the white wine and let it boil down. Then add the broth and LENTILS. Cover and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer uncovered for 1 hour, until the lentils are cooked through.
5. Stir in lemon juice and serve hot and sprinkled with some cheese...preferably parmesan, but any hard cheese will do.. Enjoy!